Monday, December 15, 2014

Gyaru Meme 01 ♡ When Did You Start Dressing Gyaru?

Hi guys!
I'm finally done with all my exams ^.^ Christmas holiday is only a few weeks but it'll be exciting! Anyway, I thought it might be fun to do the Gyaru Meme Challenge created by Lizzie and Bunny :)

"When Did I Start Dressing Gyaru?"
It's pretty funny because up until the end of highschool, I lived in Hong Kong but never really paid much attention to Japanese gyaru style. There are tons of inspirations and influence from Japan you can find everywhere, ranging from makeup to translated/imported magazines (ex. Popteen, ViVi, Egg) to fashion stores (ex. Liz Lisa, Lip Service, Snidel). Japanese purikura machines were also popular and me and my friends would go there very often. But we didn't even know what it was called! In HK we would say "Let's go take stickies" as in sticker booth/pictures 貼紙相! I experimented with makeup and also wore circle lens, but never that eyelash-CL connection xD

Early 2011 when I was studyingprocrastinating for my grade 12 final exams, I decided to check out what tumblr was. Yup boys and girls, that's how it all started! I fell in love with all the lovely gal photos on tumblr that I decided to make my own gyaru inspiration tumblr

It wasn't until after graduation that I decided to bleach my hair blonde and seriously start experimenting on gyaru. It was a big push because I was going into university and turning blonde changed my appearance so much, almost like a new person. I did gyaru make up as much as I can, almost everyday for the first year of university. I continued blogging through tumblr until I made this blog sometime beginning of 2012? I think managing my tumblr and constantly practicing taught me a lot in my early noob years. It felt like a long journey but it was really fun!

I went through my laptop for some old pictures. Haha can't believe they are finally seeing light! I'm a little nervous posting them because I don't think they are good enough, but without the progress I wouldn't be where I am today, so whatever! ^^; I started off with very natural makeup but it felt like a lot because I wasn't used to the lower lashes. And then my makeup started getting heavier and heavier. I think the most important thing is getting used to the heavy makeup, then you can start finding the balance between natural and heavy and suit your own needs.
I then started focusing on my contour and eyebrows. I had thin arched eyebrows before but this year I started growing them thicker and straighter. I like them better now but arched eyebrows were also fun while it lasted~
video
So for some unknown reason I stopped taking pictures with photobooth about a year ago so that's as far as this timeline goes! Hope you enjoyed this post and I nominate anyone who are interested in gyaru and blogging to do this meme challenge :)

Thanks for reading!
❤Catherine

23 comments:

  1. Aww you were so cute haha! Now you're even fiercer <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww so lovely to know when you started ^^

    Beautiful :3

    恵美より ♥
    emi-doll.blogspot.jp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading a little bit about me ^^ thank you

      Delete
  3. You are one of the most beautiful gyaru I know! ^ ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a huge compliment thank you! <333

      Delete
  4. Sorry if this is a bit straightforward but have you had any plastic surgery? Your nose is perfect, and I was wondering if it was just amazingly contoured ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! Yes you can achieve it with contouring xD I have a low nose bridge so contouring really helps bring out the shape ^^

      Delete
  5. You're gorgeous *o*...even when you started your natural makeup...so pretty T__T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! >.< I followed Tsubasa's makeup when I started so it was pretty natural but easy for beginners like me back then~

      Delete
  6. I really love your gyaru make up! I wish i could pull off thick eyeliner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can! If it's too harsh use some eyeshadow to soften it up :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. I just found your blog and I love it! I am in love with Gyaru makeup but I have always been so scared to try it. You inspired me to try it out!

    Check out my blog if you'd like: http://ghostlip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It can seem overwhelming at first so try it out little by little :) Practice really helps build your confidence!

      Delete
  8. This is a nice story :)
    Tumblr is always the source of new styles haha! When I first got in touch with japanese fashion, it was also because of tumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xD Glad to know i'm not the only one hehe

      Delete
  9. Aah I'm so happy you're taking part in the meme! >3<
    You looked fabulous from the start <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. pretty! really love your eyemake! first time know the gyaru from j -magazines and start liking them at 2012! and now i'm still learning the makeup technique , should gain up courage to do heavier makeup too ~* ^^*
    www.petite-diaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd suggest to slowly incorporate new elements once you feel comfortable ^^ Heavier makeup is great to experiment with but key is to know when is "too much". Find the balance :)

      Delete
  11. Omg you are so beautiful!!!! (With minimal and heavy makeup) This post just inspired me to try gyaru style, at least once!!! So pretty. *_*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...